On Friday, April 12 from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., the blog.ryerson.ca network will be undergoing maintenance, requiring an outage of at least 1 hour.
How will my blog be impacted?
We do not anticipate any impact to the individual blogs on the network, as we are not changing the WordPress interface itself.
As always, we are conducting a broad range of tests to ensure the upgrade doesn’t negatively impact our network of sites. Unfortunately, we cannot test all combinations of plugins, themes and content types. If we find any issues related to the upgrade, I will add them to the bottom of this post.
After the upgrade is complete, please contact us if you have any issues with areas of your site that worked prior to the update.
blog.ryerson.ca will be upgraded to WordPress 4.9 on Friday, December 01, 2017 between 6:00am and 8:00am.
blog.ryerson.ca users, and visitors to your sites, may experience a brief outage during this time.
This upgrade includes some feature changes, security fixes and performance updates.
For more information, see:
Please report any problems you may experience post-upgrade via the form linked on our Contact Us page.
What’s New in “Tipton”?
- A new widget for easily adding a gallery.
- An improved text widget, adding the ability to embed media.
- Customizer updates that allow you to save changes as ‘draft’ or schedule them to release at a later date.
blog.ryerson.ca will be upgraded to WordPress 3.0.5 on Friday, February 11 between 6:00 and 8:00am.
This is primarily a security update, so you should see very little difference in your blogs. Of course, if there are any issues, please contact our support team.
WordPress 3.0.5. upgrade details here: http://wordpress.org/news/2011/02/wordpress-3-0-5/
Unfortunately, our system can’t update each blog for Daylight Savings Time, so you will need to do the following to ensure your blog is set to the correct time. This is especially important for those of us who schedule the release of our blog posts.
- Log into the Dashboard for your blog.
- Click on the ‘Settings’ section in the dashboard, found at the very bottom.
- Click ‘General’.
- For the timezone, select UTC -5. (During Daylight Savings time, you will set it to UTC -4)
- Click ‘Save Changes’ to apply the change.
The upgrade to WordPress 3.1 is complete, and successful.
This is a minor update, including some updates to plugins.
During our upgrade, we not only updated to the latest version of WordPress, but we also updated a number of the plugins on our site.
A few things to note:
Word Twit plugin users
You will need to reauthenticate your account in order to continue using this plugin.
- Log into your Twitter account.
- In another window, log into your blog on blog.ryerson.ca, and go to Settings > WordTwit in the sidebar of your dashboard.
- Click the Sign in With Twitter link. Since you already logged into your Twitter account, WordPress will already know which account to associate.
- Click the Allow button. You will be brought back to the WordTwit settings for your blog. Check to make sure your account is listed there.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update Options.
There is a new default theme: Twentyten!
WordPress has come out with a new default theme that takes advantage of many of the great features that WordPress has been able to support for a while, such as widgets, customizable header and background images.
In addition, it can also make use of the new Menus functionality and other cool things.
Feel free to try it out!!
For info on how to get the most out of WordPress 3.0 and the new Twentyten theme, check out the video below, or check out this post on WordPress.org.